Monday, August 1, 2011

I shall call him...mini-"G"

So, I was watching Private Practice (in truth, it was on TV and I was barely paying attention) when I heard a character make the comment that while she didn't believe in God, even if she did, she couldn't believe that God would allow her mom to suffer a painful, drawn out death via brain tumor.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard people make comments just like this one. "I don't believe in a god who sends people to hell," "I don't want to believe in a god that lets millions of African children die of starvation," and "I don't believe in a god that [doesn't fit the description I have in my mind]" are just a few comments I've heard.

While (1) God doesn't send anyone to hell--Acts 16:30-31, Genesis 4:17 & 3:17 etc. and (2) God doesn't cause famine from spite--Genesis 3:17, Mark 6:41-42, the bigger question is:

WHO ARE WE TO SAY WHO GOD IS AND ISN'T OR WHAT HE IS/ISN'T LIKE?

It sounds like these people are creating a god IN THEIR OWN IMAGE. Last time I checked, the Bible was the source that states who God is. It defines Him by His actions and words.

Consider these statements:
1. The God of the Bible is the Creator of EVERYTHING.
2. This same God exercises sovereignty (meaning complete control and power) over His creation.

Now, if you believe both of the above statements, then the following statement must also be true: God can do whatever He wants, whenever He wants, to whomever He wants, with or without anyone else's permission or approval. Now, if all three of these statements are true, then why do people who claim to be Christian (and Christ claimed that He Himself was God in John 1:1,14 & 10:30) say and/or think things like those original statements? It seems like too many people want to make God a mini-me version that they've conceived in their own mind, rather than looking to Scripture to get a true definition of who He is...

No comments:

Post a Comment